First Person Exploration Kit - Roadmap
Latest version available in the Unity Asset Store.
Feature Roadmap (in no particular order):
Most of these fixes are in progress, and I expect them to be done "soon" (let's aim for July 31 2017). Depending on how things shake out, they might be rolled out in incremental updates rather than one giant patch
- Fix: "Future" reticle assets are currently Default not Sprite (2D/UI) so they don't appear to be choices when changing GUI skin
- Fix: Do an efficiency pass on all UI elements to ensure no extraneous raycast targets, etc. are present
- Fix: fairly innocuous but present NullReferenceException if player presses the B button on XBox controller when there is no journal open. Related: Sometimes, erroneous "journal close" sound can be heard if player presses B button when no journal is visible.
- Fix: Highlight in Unity 5 on some objects (especially those with complex meshes or child mesh renderers) can cause z-fighting.
- Fix: If you place two demoCabinets in your game, they both activate.
- Fix: Slowed mouse movment when looking at an objec to interact with. When the player is strafing and also looking at an object, the slow mousespeed switching causes the mouse cursor and interaction text to stutter sometimes.
- Fix: Player Controller to allow for more interesting customizations out of the box such as crouching, toggle-able "view bob" etc.
- Fix: Add a layer of abstraction into controls for easier editing and addition of new control schemes (for arbitrary new hardware, controllers, etc.)
- Fix: A few other small bugs and code refactor items
- Add: UnityEvents to allow users to specify arbitrary events through the inspector. Ideally, allow user to specify repeat or on time event.
- Add: Proper inventory screen that will show Inventory and allow player to replay "discovered" audio diaries and read collected journal-like items
- Add: Ability for player to add applicable items to inventory after they've inspected them, or discard/put back as usual.
- Add: Demo object that includes an "interaction" phase such as entering a door keycode in a UI in screen space
- Add: Custom 'Whilefun' or similar namespace for all code to prevent name overlaps, compile conflicts, etc.
- Add: Ability to force refresh on highlight materials such that activations that cause UV offset to change can ask for a material refresh if they know their materials are stale
- Add: Ability to include/exclude arbitrary child mesh renderers so its easier to just plunk the script on any object and not fiddle with mesh/object structure (example, door model that includes door, frame, knob, etc. and you just want the knob and lock plate to highlight)
- Add: "Dockable" object that will engage the player in a fixed location and and limited mouse look space such that they can interact with an object while "at a station" for that object until such time as they are released from that object's interaction (example: sit at a radio or computer and fiddle with buttons while things happen, then get up after they have happened or user aborts interaction)
- Add: Demo objects to demonstrate all new/changed features
- Add: Snazzier documentation and new video clips showing the features/fixes.